Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thankful

It's been a little while since I've sat down to write a really personal blog, and I actually miss the experience. So here I am...

Let me first say that 2009 has been wonderful for me so far -- as far as music's concerned. I've met some very interesting and wonderful people, and I'm working with people whom I thought I'd never encounter in real life. It's one of those times where I wish my mother was still alive to see these moments. But I know she's here in spirit, smiling at me all the way...

I wrote a song for the fabulous Miss CeCe Peniston... It's called "So Good." But even more than writing this song for her, I've made a wonderful friend. CeCe's a beautiful woman -- both inside AND out -- and I'm so happy that we talk as much as we do. While I won't say TOO MUCH, I'll tell you this... If y'all thought CeCe was through, OH NOOOO... She's coming back with an arsenal, do you hear me? And I'm so grateful to be a part of it.

Another one I'm very happy to be working with (finally) is Quentin Harris. We've got some secret stuff up our sleeves, but I'm still excited!! Although we've known each other for a while now, we've never actually sat down and said "alright, let's DO THIS!" -- well, until recently. Again, I'm grateful for the experience. I'll tell you more about that later, but you'll soon find out anyway. :-)

Wallshaker (my label) has also been doing some great things... So far this year, every release that we've done has made an exceptional amount of noise -- it's like all of a sudden, everyone's paying attention! Lady Blacktronika's "Lose My Life" is already hailed as the Deep House track of the year... Inbetween DJs "Uppers & Downers" EP is also working it OUT, do you hear me? I mean, some of today's biggest DJs are supporting our releases -- and it just feels good.

I'm also gaining more knowledge (which equals power) when it comes to distribution and marketing. No more are the days of "I can't find your music!" Maybe it's just me, and people have been paying attention all along? I don't know... But whatever it is, I accept it!

...I've noticed the many different doors that have opened (and closed) in my life. Old friends (or acquaintances) have faded into the sunset -- new friendships have been forged. I'm curious to see who sticks around for the long haul, and who will go running at the first sign of "trouble." Who's down for ME as a person, and who's just around because of my "status?" I can tell you... Some of the people I NEVER thought would be as close to me as they are -- Julian (DJ Nasty) and I are like the "odd couple." If we were any closer, we'd have the same parents. I admit, I still try to maintain some of (what I consider to be) my "best" friendships. But who knows? Life -- either theirs or mine -- just gets in the way... I still don't believe that a person can be "too busy" to keep in touch with his TRUE friends. Anyone who says otherwise, is living a lie.

I've also learned to reach out -- yes, I had to stop being so damn divalicious, and actually pick up the phone and CALL THEM! LOL... But those who know me, KNOW how often my phone rings!

There's much more that I want to say right now, but it's so late -- 2 a.m. as I sit here writing... There's a full moon out right now, and the clouds are going by so fast. Yet all is calm and still... Sort of like me, standing in this crazy game called life. I'd like to catch at least a FEW hours of sleep, while the night is calm and still -- yet flying by so fast...

Big hugs...
AC

No comments: