Wednesday, April 02, 2008

AC @ DEMF

Ahh, DEMF. The ONE time of year when Detroit artists TRULY get their chance to shine for the world. Ironically, it's the time of year I repeatedly get ignored. Not by the fans, but by the "powers that be." Whoever does the artist lineup for DEMF obviously either doesn't like me, or doesn't pay attention to me.

As you know, 2005 was the first (and only) year I've ever performed @ the festival. Funny how I've been making waves since 1996 -- before this festival even existed. I don't know the politics involved in the selection process, but you'd think at least the "hot Detroit artists" would be first in line. Not to toot my own horn, but damnit, I AM a HOT Detroit Artist! I run a successful label. I sell records. I tour regularly.... What the fuck gives?

I've had plenty of time to think about it. I've tried protesting. I've tried the "proper channels." I honestly don't know what the hell to do... SO, this morning, I wrote a letter to one of the organizers -- ironically, he gave me his email address last year, when I was told I was "too late" to be included in the festival... I wrote him a letter, and in this letter, I was just REAL. Fuck politics. I wanna know why the hell I keep getting ignored at festival time.

Right now, I have a love-hate relationship with Detroit. It's a shithole, but it's home. I HATE the ghetto-minded mentality, but I LOVE the "realness." It's like a bad relationship that you just can't leave. You love him, although he disrespects you and takes you for granted. You KNOW you're better off without him, but there's just "something about him" that won't let you break away. Y'all understand what I'm saying? Detroit has beaten me up and spat me out... But it only made me stronger. And I continue to stand up to this bitch. Scars and all, I'm still standing, motherfuckers...

AC

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck em... Too good for that shit anyways.

Anonymous said...

Aaron, you are right on the money about Detroit. As for DEMF, not only are you not on the lineup... BUT if you want to go to the event you'll have to shell out 40$ to get in...

So consider that... if you were booked to play, and the locals were excited to see you... they'd have to pay to get in.

Maybe we've been blessed with not having to pay in the past, but I think you've got more options to do some networking, rather then worry about dj'ing the event.

I'm curios to see how the "numbers" are for ppl who make DEMF their destination this year.

Vergel Evans said...

BTW. it looks like you're playing DEMF this year after all... I just saw the schedule

Real Detroit Stage
Sunday, May 25th
12:00-1:30 pm Gabe Real1:30-3:00 pm T Linder
3:00-4:00 pm Darkcube - live
4:00-6:00 pm Aaron-Carl feat. Veronique & DJ E. Dubb
6:00-8:00 pm TBA
8:00-9:00 pm Mr. De - live/DJ
9:00-11:00 pm TBA
11:00 pm - 12:00 am Closed

So it looks like you got someones attention. Good going!