Sunday, August 23, 2009

Saving Detroit House

Today I feel compelled to take action -- some kind of action, to save the tired state of Detroit's House Music scene. I'm sure you've all heard the stories -- such great talent, so little progress. It seems that the "former" tastemakers are getting older, dying off, leaving the scene, or shifted the focus from the SCENE to THEMSELVES... The younger generation barely has a clue. I REFUSE to let this scene die. It has changed MY life, from the first moment I heard that 4/4 beat. I know I cannot be the only one.

Yes, Detroit is known for its Techno. But what people don't realize is that, alongside techno, we also grew up on House. We took elements of Chicago, New York, Germany, London, etc., and added our OWN soul to it -- and I don't care WHERE you're from, you can't deny that Detroit has undeniable SOUL...

I guess the main purpose of my email is to express my disappointment with the state of today's scene. I sent out a proverbial "call to action." What surprised me was a few responses that I've received from some of the "names" here in Detroit -- the most shocking was "Good Luck."

WHAT?! Good LUCK? We're becoming extinct like endangered species, and all you have to say is "Good Luck?" (I shake my head in shame...) But instead of simply griping about the problem, I'd like to be a part of the SOLUTION... I'm more than willing to meet and discuss ideas with ANYONE who is interested in keeping Detroit's House Scene alive -- together we can move mountains.

Hit me up, let's share ideas...

Sincerely,
Aaron-Carl

No comments: