Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Murphy's Law Experience

Oh goodness, Murphy's Law was in full effect yesterday. For those who don't know what it is, Murphy's Law simply states "If something can go wrong, it will go wrong." And yesterday was a prime example...

Quickly running through these subjects (which I'm actually OVER, but I still feel the need to blog about it), here's a rundown of yesterday:

1. After yet another e-mail from a "fan" who says, "I love your music... Can you please SEND me the tracks on your player (for free), I caved in and obliged. Why, you ask? Who knows... Maybe I was feeling pretty good at the moment, and thought "what the hell... why not make someone's day?" I do that from time to time. But anyway, I met up with him online, and the caption under his screen name says -- quite boldly -- "WHITE PRIDE FOR LIFE!!!" It took everything I had, not to throw this damn computer out of the window. But I kept my cool... I figured, maybe this was just a test from above... I reasoned with myself, "He's not racist... He's just proud to be white!" In that respect, I understand how some people feel when they see slogans like "Black Pride," etc... But that's still a sore subject for a LOT of people. Minorities can get away with it, but whites can't. Weird. But then again, should whites be able to? Considering the history, and the fact that we STILL haven't gotten past that ignorance... I don't get it. Whatever... MY solution? Everybody should just start fucking EVERYBODY, so we all become mixed. No more "this race" or "that race." We'll all be one multi-racial culture, living in harmony. Ahh, if only it were so... But moving on...

2. I spent hours preparing for a show, which I was leery about attending in the first place. I dodged phone calls and ignored messages, saying "Hey, you're playing for _________... Are you SURE you're gonna get paid?" I figured they were just being ignorant, although I wondered why they would take the time to CALL ME and ASK ME that... Made me wonder. Hmmm... This IS the same person who threw the party I went to a couple years back -- the one that got raided... SHOULD I be afraid? But my need for the money overshadowed my fear of arrest... In fact, I remember when ______ first asked me to play. The first thing they say was, "and don't worry.. I'll pay you!"

So anyway, I wasn't scheduled to play until 2 a.m.. I arrived at the party nearly an hour before. Mind you, I don't go out "just for the sake of going out..." So it was nice to see and be seen again. I took lots of pictures, had a few good conversations (Hello SECURITY!!!), and even ran into "Chris" (I swore his name was David) -- the guy who'd lost his mother, but came to the club the same night to hear me spin. I'll NEVER forget him.

2 a.m., I walk onto the stage. Immediately, I notice that one of the CDJs weren't working! (Great, right?) I kid you not, it was so hard to keep my cool on stage, while guy after guy fiddled with the equipment, trying to get things to work. Granted, I had ANOTHER CD playing... (It wasn't mixed, but I transitioned between the tracks as fast as I could!) The crowd was dancing, but I was still embarrassed. Finally, they got BOTH decks working. By this time, I was promised that I'd still get my full hour to play. The next DJ (who I shall not name, damn him), comes up to me -- after I successfully mixed TWO tracks, and says "you've got ONE MORE SONG, then it's MY turn!" Now, again... It took all I had, not to bitch slap his selfish ass... After all, the crowd was dancing. I know he was itching to DJ, but damn... Did he have to stand on stage right next to me, with his headphones in hand, waiting to intercept the next record?! YES, the hell he did... Because I'd had enough of watching him check his cell phone, make weird faces and TELL ME how many more tracks I have left to play before he takes over...

Fuck it. I'd spun for maybe a total of 20 minutes, but I was done. I couldn't take it anymore. So I gave the baby his place on stage, and I gracefully bowed out. I figured I'd just get my pay, go home, and forget about his antics...

...until I discovered that I was NOT getting paid. They were under the impression that I agreed to play as a "favor..." ...uh, yes, it WAS a favor, considering that the only reason why __________ asked me to play in the first place, was because their "MAIN HEADLINER" was double-booked that night...

Now, I'll say this. One VERY GOOD thing happened last night. I'd finally met up with someone I'd been speaking with on MySpace for a long time... He'd come down to see me, and he actually helped me keep my cool during all of this madness. Not to mention, he gave me one of the biggest, most sincere hugs I'd received in YEARS...

That was last night. Or should I say, early this morning... Right now, as I write this blog, I laugh at myself. One, because I know that I ALLOW these things to happen to me sometimes... If I DJ or perform with NO contract or deposit, this is how I get treated. (Never again!) But I won't turn this into a huge rant... Y'all know me. I just have to tell it like it is...

Today will definitely be better -- there, I said it. I'm putting it out in the universe... TODAY will be a BETTER DAY... I will have the clarity to keep people and things in perspective. Those who aren't healthy for me, have no damn place in my life. Murphy's Law was yesterday. AC's Law is TODAY.

xoxo

No comments: